Pages

Monday 20 May 2019

The Day I Was Home Alone


The Day I Was Home Alone

My family was out for a visit to our grandmother's house. I was all alone in the house when I heard a weird voice calling out, "Isabella". I didn't recognize the voice, and as the voice was quite strange for me I started trembling. My hands went cold and clammy with sweat. "Who would it be? Mum locked all the doors and windows by herself before going out and I locked the front door once Mum, Dad, John, Emily and Jack all were out" I mumbled to myself. I had just finished telling myself all the things which I had done for my safety. When I heard the unknown voice again "Isabella where are you"? I heard somebody's footsteps ascending the stairs. As soon as I heard the voice and footsteps, I rushed for my bedroom door and slammed it shut. Locking it behind me I fished out my phone and called my parents.

" What? Are you telling me that there is somebody in the house? Am I hearing you right?", my Mum shrieked so loudly that I had to remove the phone away from my ear for a while. At that moment there was a thunderous knock on the door, I felt as if the door would break down in pieces. I told my Mum about the knock and she calmed me although she wasn't calm herself, she failed and I started crying. My mother told me that she was coming in a few minutes. I thought the man, whoever it was, would have heard me calling my mother and he would have run away, but that didn't happen. Once more there was a loud knock on the door. I started crying silently, covering my mouth with my hands while squatting in my wardrobe, the door an inch open to breath. Hearing my room's door opening I screamed so loudly that I think my neighbors would have heard me because just after 2 minutes I heard a lot of footsteps and recognized a few which were absolutely my mother's. Soon I heard my dad's voice calling my name and telling me that they've caught the man. As soon as I was assured that I was safe I got out of the cupboard but none of my family members were there. There was not a single soul in the room.

After a minute or so I heard a loud thud and I woke up, lying on the floor gazing at the ceiling. Laughing at myself I carried myself back to my bed.
                                                     

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your writing style is very intriguing Abiha! :D This narrative gripped me straight from the beginning with its abrupt and sinister start, the suspense and mysteriousness of it all. The topic of a nightmare is a very interesting theme and quite relatable as well - the way you have described such an uncanny event especially. I particularly liked the short, sharp sentences you used throughout to convey mystery - "Once more there was a loud knock on the door" for instance; I was on edge the whole way through. The ending is quite ironic too which makes it so amusing... I think we've all been there! xD Do keep posting more of your writings; I've missed them!

    ReplyDelete